Sunday 11 January 2015

The Perfect Text

Do you ever send a text to someone, most times a friend, and the minute that you hit the send button, you're already imagining what the other person might respond with or what you hope that they'll reply with?

A few days ago, I had one of my few good friends text me and asking why I wasn't in school, to which I replied saying that I was sick.

I could already imagine the possibilities of what he could text back. I was picturing it saying "Oh man, how are you doing?" or "What are you sick with?" or anything along those lines of asking how I was doing, but in reality, all I got was a "That sucks."

I can't say that I was over the moon to read that text, but what could I have done? He cared enough to ask, and that was already sweet of him.

When you're talking to someone through a screen, they can't see you, can't see how you look, let alone see how you react to a certain text. Even in person, they can't climb into your head and see the perfect response that you could be picturing in your mind.

I do feel, to an extent, that I'm more confident over text for those exact same reasons. You don't have to see the person while texting them a specific thing, you don't have to see their reaction, you can easily stop talking to them if things go wrong, it could be a little easier to open up to a person under those circumstances.

There's a very slim chance of you receiving the perfect text that you could be imagining, but does that mean it's bad to think about it? Are you just setting yourself up for disappointment? Can you get a text better then what you've imagined?

There's always a chance that you might get the text that you've always wanted to read. It could be a small serendipity, who knows?

I just know that I'm still waiting for mine to happen.


One More Girl, no longer online

No comments:

Post a Comment