Sunday 4 January 2015

Fiction Is A Drug

I have this problem where I get so engrossed with the fictional world, that I forget my responsibilities of the real world.

Over my winter break (which today, is sadly the last day of before going off to school tomorrow), I've read some books and I've watched quite a few movies, which were all fictional.
I watched almost all of the Harry Potter movies, some Marvel movies, the new Night at the Museum movie, along with a few others. Literature wise, I mostly read parts of Looking For Alaska by John Green.

Having been surrounded by all this fiction over a span of two weeks, it made me feel…like I’m not living my life to the fullest in a certain type of way.

Knowing I couldn't survive in a dystopian universe, I can’t help but feel like I’d have a higher purpose than sitting at school for at least 17 years of my life, and then having a job that I’m not completely in love with.

In a world like Harry Potter’s or The Avengers, sure there’s a lot of danger, but wouldn't it be so much better than our normal lives?

Even reading a book written by John Green; they aren't considered violent, but to slip into a story that he writes, it would be amazing to have a love story like that. Even to witness two people in love with so much passion as he writes the characters to have, it would be an amazing sight.
I find that fiction is one of the cruelest drugs out there because it takes you from the real world. It makes our universe look like nothing compared to what different universes that we see or watch that’s all created from someone’s imagination.

Sure it’s fun to get away from the real world at times, but all things must come to an end. There’s going to be a final war, a final “I love you,” and a final goodbye. After it ends, people have to stop thinking about how that period of their life is over and how their lives suck compared to what they witnessed, and start thinking about how the universe we’re stuck in is actually alright. There’s no reason as to why we can’t make ourselves who we want to be.

We should all do whatever we want with our lives, we shouldn't have anyone telling us to do! Fiction is just the greatest, and possibly the fastest, way to escape our world for when it gets too much, or when it’s not good enough.


Let me know what you guys think and maybe we can share dystopian universes that we probably couldn't survive in, but still want to live in anyway.


One More Girl, no longer online

No comments:

Post a Comment