Wednesday 4 March 2015

Freedom Of Speech...Oh, You're Not Listening

Something that feels as if it's been happening often to me these past few weeks is that I'm constantly being cut off and interrupted.

I understand if I'm in a debate type of conversation and the other person jumps in when I'm trying to explain something and they challenge what I'm saying, I don't mind that if it's reasonable. The thing I really hate it when I'm constantly being cut off so that someone can start to talk about something completely different as to what I was talking about in the first place.

It makes me feel as if what I have to say isn't all that important and that it makes me think that you believe your opinions are simply better than mine. Opinions are the matter of one's personal thoughts, there really can't be a right or wrong one.

For me, this seem to happen a lot a school and also at home.

At school, I'm partnered with three other girls for a project. Two are best friends while the other seems to never be with the group. Whenever one of the best friends ask me something, I'll start to reply but the other one will cut me off and say "Oh my God, do you know the funny thing that I just thought of?" and then go off in a story to which I know nothing about and I'm left as the third wheel again.

Don't get me wrong, these girls are lovely, it's just hard to work in the same group as best friends.

It also happens with family sometimes. I'll be in the middle of talking when I'm either cut of so that the other person can talk, or I realize that they really don't care for what I have to say. 

That's one of the worst feelings, really. To talk about something you're passionate about while no one can bother to listen.

If you're someone who tends to cut people off, I can understand if you do it at an appropriate time while being on the same subject, but if you jump to something completely different, please let the person talking finish. We all hate that feeling, so why let it happen to someone else?

If you're like me and constantly being interrupted, remember to hold your head high. It's their lost if they don't hear the end of the funny story as to what your dog did the other day. Although you might feel as though no one cares and that things would be better if you stay quiet, it won't be. If you're fed up with this (also like me), why not say "I'm sorry for interrupting you, but I wasn't finished saying what I had to say. Do you mind if I say the last little bit? I'd love to hear what you have to say after, though,"? You are politely letting the person know that you still have more to say and I think that's reasonable!

You have a voice and you shouldn't be afraid to use it.


One More Girl, no longer online

No comments:

Post a Comment