Wednesday 9 September 2015

School Tryouts

Well my lovely readers, I did as I said I would and I went to my school's baseball tryouts today.

If I'm honest with you guys, I thought many times about not going and just saying that I didn't make the team it something came up, but I fought that urge and I went to the tryouts.

When I got there, there were only two other girls trying out and I previously knew them because I played softball with them, but I did recognize one other kid from my math class.

Besides that, it shouldn't be called the boys team, instead it should be called the men's team.

Little 5'4 me was up against all the seniors of the school who are around 6 feet tall and all have beards.

Admittedly, when I got there I was extremely nervous, but I gradually found myself feeling a little more relaxed.

Besides that, I don't think that they were horrible.

I definitely had a sore shoulder because it's so different from throwing a softball that my shoulder got sore and stiff pretty soon, so when it came to easy throws that came up short I was kicking myself a little bit.

The tryouts today were more like a scrimmage (a game played by one team and you separate the players accordingly) and I only got up to bat twice. They weren't awful, the first time took a lot of getting used to because the bat and the technique you have is quite different, so I struck out.

I struck out my second time at bat too, but I hit foul balls and that's good because the coaches know that I can make contact, it's just going to take some practice to get it right.

Of course it's hard going into something that you don't already know and it's even harder when you don't know many people around you, but putting yourself out there will help you with that.

You'll get to meet new people and it will give you a new experience.

I was terrified going into the tryout and imagined all the worst cases scenarios possible, but it all went fine, I'm here writing this post, I'm alive.

Will I make the team? That's a whole different question.

Will I regret ever going to the tryouts? I'll have to say no because then I won't ever wonder "What if?" and I'll be proud of myself for trying.

I'm still working on the whole "making friends" issue, and if you're on the same page as me, then clubs or school sports can defiantly help you make friends fast.

If you go in not really knowing what you're doing, that's fine, people will be there to help you.

Don't be afraid of something just because you feel alone or unprepared going in. Soon, you won't be alone and you'll know exactly what to expect.


One More Girl, no longer online

2 comments:

  1. Really loved this post! Wish I could have taken this advice for some teams that I wanted to be on but didn't have the courage to try out for! Tomorrow, I'm hoping to join a team that I was in last year and I really enjoyed. Unfortunately, no ones space was saved so I'm quite nervous whether I will be picked again but I'm staying positive about it! I hope that you get into the softball team and as you say, you will never have to wonder 'What if!'

    On a side note, I've nominated you to do the Love/Hate Tag! More information is on my blog about it! www.makinglifeacamera.blogspot.co.uk

    xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! I hope that all went well for your own team tryout, but I'm sure that you did great! It's amazing to hear that you stayed positive about it! Sometimes it's hard to see and think of all of the good things, but I'm happy to hear that you did. Also, thank you so much for nominating me for the Love/Hate tag, I'm quite honored and I'll have it up Wednesday for sure! :)xx

    ReplyDelete