Sunday 12 July 2015

Bad Habits

Everyone has bad habits.

Personally, I bit my finger nails when I get nervous, worried, stressed or anxious. It's something that I do that I'm aware that I'm doing it, but I can't help it.  I could be telling myself to stop, but I'll continue to bit my finger nails.

Bad habits aren't anything to be ashamed of, everyone has something that they do, you can't judge someone on a bad habit that they have when you have one that's equally as bad.

Another bad habit of mine is to babble on.

When someone asks me something and I'm nervous for some reason, I'll tend to give a long answer when a brief answer would've been enough.

For example, someone could ask me what type of music that I like around someone I just met and I'll go on to give my answer and practically defend myself and go on to give reasons as to why I like that type of music.

Admittedly, I babble when nervous, but I also babble when it's something that I'm passionate about.

I'm passionate about a few things such as writing, reading, music and a few other things.

As I mentioned, I'm passionate about music.

I'm currently at my aunt and uncle's cottage along with my older cousin and like myself, my uncle is passionate about music, too.

Everyone was up and in the living room area by about 9:00 this morning, but we were all reading so nobody really talked until about 11:00 or so.

By about 11:00, we started to get a move on things and my uncle started to make some pancakes.

While he was making the batter, he was talking to me about music because he had his phone plugged into the stereo and was asking me if I knew whatever song or whatever artist was playing.

I said no and then I went to ask him if he knew someone because another artist covered their song and they changed it to make it acoustic and slower and it's currently one of my favourites songs, and seeing as it's something I'm passionate about, I wanted to mention it.

I was talking to him while he was doing the batter measurements, and at one point he cut me off by saying "Shit!"

Asking what was wrong, me told me that he got the measurements wrong and had put in way to much milk. 

He then turned to everyone else and said that it was because I was distracting him by talking.

They all laughed and I didn't know what to think because I really thought it was my fault, I thought I ruined everything.

Then I understood that he was most likely joking, but I still couldn't help but feel bad about it. 

I just got into something I was passionate about and as usual, I started to babble.

I understand that it's a bad habit of mine, but they're hard to break. It's not an overnight thing, many people realize that, but I still felt as though that I was really bothering him, that he would've preferred that I hadn't said anything to begin with.

You live and learn. Bad habits are a part of that learning because so many people might be used to it from you that it might start to annoy someone else. 

Having it annoy someone else and making you even more conscious about it might help you become more aware of it and help you manage it.

Bad habits are hard to quit, I completely understand, but I think the first step to stopping one is to manage it. Doing it only at certain times and working yourself down so that you're doing it less and less might help you quit for good.

Nobody's perfect, not everyone, if not no one, will be able to stop their bad habit on their first attempt, so don't be disappointed in yourself if you have to try and try again. 

It happens to the best of us and it makes us insecure, but remember that you're not the only one out there.


One More Girl, no longer online

No comments:

Post a Comment