Sunday 5 July 2015

Being Conscious of Injuries

Awhile back ago, I wrote a post called Injuries and Recoveries which was about how I got self-conscious when I had to wear physiotherapy tape down my arm, I was worried that people kept looking at me oddly, but I realized that it was important for my recovery and I shouldn't worry what people think if the tape is helping me.

Today's post is also along the line of injuries and sports.

I was at a softball tournament this weekend and my team did really well; we went undefeated and came home with the gold medal. However, not everything went smoothly as hoped.

During the championship game, I went up to my first at bat. I was excited, I was pumped for my at bat because I've been hitting well the whole tournament, it was my first time going up that game, we were up by a few runs and I knew that I could get on base, I was confident in myself.

The confidence payed off because I ended up hitting the ball towards the secondbasemen, but she fumbled the ball a little bit and I was safe.

Then I heard a cry.

The pitcher was on the ground, holding her knee, not moving and crying.

As a player, that's awful to see, you don't ever want to see any player in that position. However as an opponent, you just want to know what happened, if she was injured before and what the injury is.

Out of respect, my team all took a knee and watched on as coaches rushed to the field with ice, something to put under her head and whatever they thought could help.

She was down for awhile, they had ice on it, but then they figured it would be better for the girl to get her off the field and out of the sun.

She couldn't walk off the field, she had to be carried off.

As her teammate came back to her position at first base, I asked if she would be alright. 

She told me that she didn't know because she just recovered from a torn ACL and just twisted the same knee.

ACL injuries are very difficult to overcome. Once you injure it, it won't heal to it's original state ever again.

When I got back to the dugout, my dad told me that she (the pitcher) went for a ball that shouldn't have been hers in the first place which caused her to twist her bad knee.

I don't think that she'll play softball for the rest of the season, but I don't even know if she'll be able to play for the next few years. 

In whatever case scenario it is, if you're doing something you're passionate about and you see someone whether a friend or competitor, experience something that causes them to have to leave something their passionate about, it also hurts you a little bit. 

Although it's nowhere near the pain that the person themselves feel for having to leave something their passionate about, you still understand the pain of not being able to do what you love and it's one of the worst pains out there.

This just shows more that you have to take care of yourself.

Although you might have to go ahead from the doctor and they say you're fully recovered, pay extra attention to what's happen so that you don't injure yourself, be conscious of how you're moving. I know it's difficult when it's in the rush of the moment, but people should be concious of injuries in any way that they can.

In the example of softball, if you have to let the ball go pass you to save yourself from a bad injury, then do it. Although you're passionate about something, make sure that you take care of yourself and take your health into thought before other things.

If you feel uncomfortable about going into a game while just recovering from an injury, talk to your coach and tell them how you feel. They'll understand because coaches also want whats best for their players and will put their health before the game, too.

You shouldn't feel forced into something when you've just recovered or are still recovering from an injury.

Injuries are tough enough as they are, but they don't have to be bad to the extent that you have to stop doing something that you're passionate about.


One More Girl, no longer online

No comments:

Post a Comment