Wednesday 1 July 2015

Canada Day Family Barbecue

As I mentioned on my blog post before this one, A Long Awaited Homecoming, my older cousin is home and tonight was the big Canada Day barbecue.

Before I get into the story as to what majorly happened, I should explain that this is my mom's side of the family. 

On my mom's side, the ages are quite diverse. My eldest aunt just started university when my uncle was born. For that reason, I have cousins that are all grown up, married and have kids. At that point, my mom's side of the family had this sort of agreement that even if their your cousin, if they're older than you by a lot and have their own kids, you can call them your aunt/uncle.

My cousin that cam home for the first time in awhile is actually my cousin, but I could call her my aunt if I wanted to.

For the barbecue, I was pretty surprised that not everyone showed up. I easily thought that we were going to be 20+ people when in reality, we were only about 18. I was okay with that because I really was expecting more family members to show up.

I'm really happy that I went because everyone that I saw tonight, I only see them a handful amount of times per year.

The supper was pretty nice; we got there early, sat around, talked and caught up with everyone and we all had a good laugh.

I felt terrible at one point though because I had a terrible choice of words. 

My cousin moved to the States, out of country, to be with her boyfriend. After a little bit of her living there, they decided to get married to speed up the process of her getting a green card. They had their wedding ceremony at City Hall, but I know that they want to have a wedding party or maybe even a typical marriage ceremony with the white dress, tuxedos, reception and all that. I'm not too sure what they want to do, but I think it's something along those lines.

Anyway, when things quieted down, I asked my cousin (when everyone could hear) "Hey, when are you having a proper wedding?" 

That's not what I intended, that's not what I meant, but I couldn't find another word by the time the sentence started to come out of my mouth.

Everyone had a laugh and my cousin thought it was pretty funny. My mom was telling me to stop talking, but my cousin and her husband understood what I meant, so I guess that it's fine...? Overall, it wasn't my greatest moment.

During the supper, everything was good, it was pretty much the same as before supper.

After that, everyone was settling down. My little cousins gave us a little gymnastic performance and then a highland dance performance, so it was really fun to see that. It was so cute considering that they're all still in elementary school.

We started to clean up and we were all inside, so my grandmother decided to give her wedding present to my cousin and her husband.

My grandmother started this tradition for children and grandchildren only that she sews a quilt for each of us and gives it to us on our wedding day or as a marriage present.

My cousin was so excited to get hers because she knew exactly what it was. Turns out that my grandmother waited 13 years to give that to her, so it was nice that she finally got it.

Seeing as though my little cousins are young in age, they left the party with their parents and that left eleven of us. 

We got a fire going, roasted a few marshmallows and had some s.mores. Admittedly, this was my first time ever having a proper s'more. Those things are good! I could only manage one though, they're also pretty filling. 

Surprisingly. my grandmother wanted one, but when i went to give her a stick to roast the marshmallow on, she said "Oh, I thought you were making me one," so I did.

That was it, really. It was a lot of catching up with family I don't see often, so that was nice. 

I'm not the biggest fan of big family gatherings, I have to admit, but I got to talk to family members face to face that I only see twice a year. We were all able to have a laugh and no one was really stressing over anything.

If you ask me, it was kind of a perfect way to spend Canada Day with your family.


One More Girl, no longer online

No comments:

Post a Comment